Meet My Favourites - I



You sometimes come across lines, pieces of poetry that makes you pause, read again and commit to memory. Those lines really do create an impact.

I can never forget how this one made me feel- 'The Best Kind of Broken'.

Chelsea Fine doesn’t just write novels, she draws characters that we are bound to fall in love with, that I helplessly fall in love with. Ever since I read ‘The Archers of Avalon’ series, I became her fan, and knew that I could read anything and everything she ever wrote. I loved Tristan, Scarlet, Nate and Heather- their friendship, love and adventure trips. Chelsea creates characters and makes them wholesome- with all the nuances of personality- the blacks, the whites and the grays.

When you read her works, you feel you belong to that world, among her characters. I loved Sophie and Carter, her first novella. Two damaged souls, each other’s only solace. ‘The Best Kind of Broken’ is the New Adult version of that story, I believe. The characters have similar brokenness, flaws and they go through similar emotional turmoil. They deal with the death of a loved one, the unspoken words, regret, guilt, the burden, the push and pull. Perhaps my beloved author is drawn towards all that’s awry, broken, unsettled and complicated.

Chelsea Fine writes touching pieces, emotional ones, revealing all the insecurities and vulnerabilities of the characters. She knows and makes the readers understand mixed feelings. She writes mature romances that feel real. If anyone would ask me for recommending a good book in romantic genre, I would gladly suggest this one.

It’s strange how she makes you believe that love cannot be judged. Love hurts. Love heals. And guilt and regret are the worst and wretched feelings of all.


Comments

Queeristan by Parmesh Sahani

Image
  Queeristan (Amazon Link) Thanks to Audible Free Trial I listened to this amazing non-fiction on LGBTQ inclusion in Indian workplaces. Author Parmesh Sahani identifies as gay Indian, working closely with Godrej higher management and employees for years to create an inclusive workplace, both legally and in spirit. This book is a result of those years of experience, research, collaboration with individuals from difference spectrum of the society and organizations who has successfully transitioned into a queer friendly one.   Indian history is inclusive. From the Khajuraho temple architectures, to Konark to the Rig Veda, there is existing proofs even 2000 years ago of Indian inclusiveness of queer. It’s the draconian British law that criminalised it, which was scraped in 2009, came into effect once again following a sad judgement in 2013 and eventually was scraped off for good in 2018. I am in awe of the lawyers who fought this legal battle- colleagues and partners – Arundhati Katju

Popular posts from this blog

F.R.I.E.N.D.S

Empress Ki : A story of an epic scale

E[x]ploring Odia Literature Through 'Punyatoya'

When Breathe Becomes Air

Latest Binge - Emily in Paris

A Gratitude List: The Sweetest Thing in a Seekers' Life

My Last Trip Before Lockdown